Monday, February 16, 2009

Um....it's just stuff

Happy Presidents Day! To me, doesn't really mean much...I mean, I still have to work, no presents are given or received, no special holiday meals...etc. So really, today is just Monday. However, if you still are in school or work for the government or work at a bank, it's a holiday. For those lucky folks, happy holiday.

This past week has been somewhat eventful. Maryna passed a milestone on Thursday. She suffered her first sprained ankle (don't you remember your first....it seemed aweful) and has been on crutches (yes, it's her first pair of crutches). She has been hobling around all weekend and we've been icing and wrapping faithfully. Yesterday for the first time the ankle looked relatively normal so we've been encouraging her to start putting weight on it and getting some movement. Since this is the first sprain, she's very hesitant to want to do much with it. For those who have experienced it...you know what I'm talking about.

Brad left Thursday afternoon (did I mention Maryna's incident happened Thursday afternoon...of course) for a youth ski retreat for our church. No, he doesn't qualify as a youth (well, not based on his birthday) so he was one of the leaders. Seemed to have a good time and got back home late Friday night.

Garrett had a pretty calm week...no major catastrophies, injuries, issues, etc. He spent as much time as possible outside playing with friends. He was happy just to be living life.

Since Saturday was Valentine's Day, I made a nice, but simple dinner. The best part was the dessert and since I was making it, I of course chose my favorite...brownie fudge sundaes. I mean, really, is there anything better than a warm brownie topped with vanilla ice cream and smothered in warm hot fudge? It truely is the best comfort food. That was the highlight of my day.

Switching gears....I made a new kind of chili on Thursday (since Brad was gone, I can make chili...he doesn't eat chili or any kind of soup). It was awesome. Here's the recipe for those that would like to try. It's great on a cold evening.

Mexican Chili
Brown 1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey) and drain
Add 1 package taco seasoning and stir.
Add:
1 can corn, undrained
1 can Rotel, undrained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can kidney beans, undrained

Bring to a boil and then add 1 lb Velveeta (diced into cubes). Heat and stir until cheese is melted.

This was awesome and even better the 2nd day (which is typical of chili).

Hope everyone has a great week.

No comments: