Friday, November 14, 2008

What are you cooking?

I absolutely love this time of year. I don't have to come up with any reason to do some baking beyond the fact that it is the holiday time. Over the next several weeks, I will be preparing for many events ranging from office parties to bake-off contests to holiday gatherings. Coming up first is our office Thanksgiving dinner next Friday. I don't know what I'm being asked to make as of yet, but should find out soon. For Thanksgiving, I know I have to make the fried turkey, but don't know what else I will need to prepare. Brad has said he's putting in a request that I be responsible for the mashed potatoes (mainly cause he doesn't like the ones his mom makes), but we'll wait and see. I'm usually responsible for some type of dessert. After Thanksgiving, I will go full speed ahead into holiday and Christmas baking/cooking. Making some things ahead and freezing and having other things around the house. I'd be interested to hear what you are making for the holidays. Any new and exciting recipes? Feel free to share. I know I'm always looking for some good ideas.

5 comments:

Jeremy and Melanie said...

Have you ever had a pumpkin dump cake? I made one last night and it was yummy and so easy! It's not very good for you, but it sure tastes good.

Melissa said...

No, I haven't. Please share the recipes.

Margaret Glyn said...

I am sooo proud of the great cook you have become! I lood forward to asmpling some of the good things you will have for Christmas! Warning--don't forget to put the sugar in the pumpkin pie! Gigi

Margaret Glyn said...

I really do know how to spell "sampling"1
I have a great spicy cookie bar recipe that I have tried--just may bring some to Indiana. Grandma

Jeremy and Melanie said...

1 package yellow cake mix
1 t. pumpkin pie spice
1 can (16 oz) pumpkin
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter melted
3 eggs beaten
1 cup pecans
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1/2 tsp salt

Grease bottom of 9x13 dish. Combine and mix pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, spice, and salt. Pour into dish and sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over mixture. Top with pecans; drizzle with butter. Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely before serving. Serve with whipped topping.