Ok, so it is less than 11 weeks until I have to do something I'd never thought I'd do.....run a half marathon. For those of you that know me, you realize how crazy this idea really is. I mean, I was the girl that during cross country my sophomore year of high school, hitched a ride back to the school just so I wouldn't have to run the complete distance. I had no desired to run anything longer than about 400 yards and was simply doing it to keep in shape for track. My parents said it was a "character building" opportunity. RIGHT!
Although, I did see on TV where I'm not the only one with that idea. The guy that was eliminated from the Biggest Loser a week ago decided to run a marathon with his wife and in order to complete in the time provided by the race officials, he had to ride in a van the final 3 miles. Now, a marathon is huge (26 miles), but for Pete sake (who's Pete...not sure) if you're going to put it out there that you completed a marathon, complete the marathon.
Ok, I'm back off my soapbox. Anyways, I am following a training schedule which has me doing longer runs 3x a week, shorter runs or cross training (bike riding, swimming, stair climbing, etc) 2x a week and then weight lifting 2 of those days as well. It is a very rigorous schedule, but since I have a schedule, it keeps me on track. I am a little concerned that I won't be up to running 13.1 miles in the morning as my blood sugar worries me a bit. However, I have several good resources (considering I work for a hospital) here that I'm going to tap into for advice.
The weather here finally seems to be turning and warming up. I've been told not train on a treadmill, however, with my luck and my amazing ability to get injured, I decided I wasn't going to train outside if there was a possibility of ice or snow. So, looks like this afternoon I might actually get to do my cross training outdoors (it's 64 degrees outside....heat wave)! I think I'll do some bike riding today. Both kids have soccer practice this evening, so what a great way to spend my time while they are gone. I get to burn calories and be out in the sunshine.
I'm so excited! Bring on the beautiful spring weather.
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
I am very proud of you! And I am concerned considering the injuries you have had to your legs. Please be careful!! Grandma
You can do it! You've been a runner for years...just not long distances. Let's just say, if this body can do it (no sports, minimal exercise) your body should have NO problems!
And so much for spring here. The birds are chirping outside my window but I don't know why. I'm sure they're being pelted on the head with ice!
Post a Comment